Skip to main content

Seneca students


Work Permit Application (IMM5710): Frequently Asked Questions


Q. What is a UCI?

A. UCI is your “Unique Client Identifier” or “Client ID” an 8 digit number found near the top of your study permit.

Q. I am applying for….?

A. Select “An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer”.

Q. What if I don’t have a family name?

A. If you do not have a family name on your passport enter your given name(s) in this box and leave the given name box blank.

Q. Current country of residence “from” and “to” date?

A. “From” is the date you entered Canada; “To” is the date of your study permit expires.

Q. Native language?

A. Your first language.

Q. What is a designated language testing agency?

A. IELTS, TOEFL or TEF; even if your results have expired answer “yes” if you took one of these exams.

Q. What is my Street No.?

A. “Street no.” refers to “house number”.

Q. What is a P.O. Box?

A. A locked box found at the Post Office that you rent.

Q. Why is my e-mail address required?

A. If IRCC needs to contact you they often communicate via e-mail. Use an email address you check frequently; check your junk/spam folders.

Q. What is meant by original entry date to Canada?

A. The first time you came to Canada; if you came to Canada prior to studying you would enter that date and place (airport or land border).

Q. Where can I find my document number?

A. Your document number appears on the upper right hand corner of your study permit; generally it is one alpha letter followed by 9 numbers, e.g. F310234567.

Q. How do I complete the details of my prospective employer section?

A. Seneca College acts as your employer. For “intended location of employment in Canada” type “ ON” for province but leave the city/town and address blank if you do not know the address of your ultimate employer.

Q. What should I put as my job title? Brief description of duties?

A. For your job title type “student intern”. Under “description of duties” you can type “ mandatory internship”.

Q. What should enter for my “duration of expected employment?

A. “From” is the date you are completing the form; the expiry date of your study permit is inserted in the “to” section.

Q. How do I respond to the “Education” question?

A. Answer “yes”; type in Seneca College’s information unless you already have a degree or diploma; under “field and level of study” answer both portions of this question.

Q. If I’ve never worked what should I enter under the “employment” section?

A. If you have never been employed, type in that you are a student and include Seneca College’s information; if you are, or have been employed in the past include that information here including any employment in your home country

Q. Do I need to complete the “Background Information” section?

A. This is a mandatory section. If you answer “yes” to any of the questions you need to provide an explanation.

Q. How do I sign the application form?

A. If you are submitting an online application simply type your name in the signature section; for paper applications you must physically sign documents.

Q. When I validated the form a series of red boxes appeared, what do I do?

A. The red boxes indicate that you either have neglected to complete a field or the formatting of the answer is incorrect. Make the correction(s) and validate again and save the document. Once the system confirms the application is okay a 6th page filled with bar codes will appear, this is part of your application and needs to be submitted.


General questions:

Q. What if my study permit expires during my work placement?

A. As a student it is mandatory that you retain your status in Canada, therefore you must extend your study permit. You will apply for both a study permit and co-op work permit extension at the same time.

Q. I have to do an internship, work or field placement; do I still need a co-op permit?

A. These terms are interchangeable. Any work related to your studies requires a co-op work permit.

Q. If I’m already authorized to work off-campus do I have to apply for a co-op work permit?

A. Yes. The conditions allowing you to work off-campus are not interchangeable with the requirement to fulfill a work opportunity related to your studies. It is mandatory that you apply and wait until you receive your co-op work permit before you start your work placement.

Q. If I’m not paid a wage for my placement hours do I still a co- op work permit?

A. The co-op work permit is still required regardless of whether it is an unpaid or paid placement.

Q. Can I work off-campus if I have a co-op work permit?

A. Yes, If it is stated on your study permit or you have one of the old off-campus work permits or authorization to work off-campus letters. You can amend your study permit if there are no remarks are made regarding off-campus work; if it states you cannot work then you must apply for a new permit.

To amend:      

Q. How do I obtain a SIN number?

A. Social insurance numbers are issued by Service Canada. Take passport, study permit, work permit (if necessary) and confirmation of enrolment letter

Q. What do I use for proof of a medical?

A. If you underwent a medical by an IRCC affiliated doctor overseas upload your e-medical form if you have one or write a letter of explanation listing the date, city, country, doctor or clinic you went to. You can also call the IRCC Call Centre for other options to demonstrate proof.